Friday, 15 May 2015

How to use social media to improve research impact

image via iStock
by Tseen Khoo, former Senior Advisor (Research Grant Development) at RMIT University
In the last five years or so, I’ve completely changed my attitude to communicating research.
Guess how much I used to do before?
None.
I published in journals and scholarly books. I presented at academic conferences and ran a research network. I dutifully applied for research funding. I thought of myself as a good, productive academic.
And that was it. I wasn’t really on Twitter and I blogged about our network activities – but only really for our members. I didn’t do community forums or write for other non-academic publication outlets.
Don’t believe me? Read on!
I wrote what appears below in June 2012. It talks about how I regretted not being more involved in community outreach and research dissemination while I was an academic. At the time I wrote it, I’d been in a professional role for about a year and a half.

The further I move away from academia career-wise, the more I realise how little I contributed to general commentary about issues relevant to my research interests.
I never had an op-ed published.
Actually, I never even tried to write one.
I only attended a handful of community engagement events. I actively avoided having to be the one quoted voice about particular Asian Australian issues.
My hang-up was that it’s all very complex and I didn’t want to have what I said ‘dumbed down’ to a sound-bite (I know, I know, just bear with me here…). This feeling of being misrepresented in the media was widespread around the areas I moved in academia, and it led to a general suspicion about talking to journalists or pursuing other outlets for research findings.
Now, as one half of Research Whisperer team and working as a research developer, I can see what a negligent and dense attitude that was. Given the sociocultural critique of existing values and hierarchies in Australian society that made up my academic career, what was the point of the research I was doing if it wasn’t communicated to a broader audience in an accessible way?
This complete change of attitude is fed very much by increased confidence in what I’m doing, and the advent of things such as blogging and Twitter (two very effective ways to represent yourself and your work with little mediation, or to ‘set the story straight’ if you needed to). The growing numbers of online news sources, too, is excellent for the flow of more and different kinds of stories and topic concentrations.
Now, when I’m not a full-time academic anymore, I’m thinking about writing for online publications and engaging more broadly all the time.
I love the idea of The Conversation and how it presents university research and commentary in accessible, non-jargonistic language. There are also heaps of web magazines and social issue blogs to which I think I could make a contribution. I’m already involved as a founding advisory editor for Peril: An Asian Australian magazine of arts + culture, and the team has decided to start a rolling series of posts from the editorial group as part of the publication’s development. I published something with Right Now back in late March [2012] – Validation and Solidarity –  and I’d like to do more of this kind of writing, with less of a focus on me and my experiences (cos it’s not all about me…).
As I am no longer a full-time academic, though, I start wondering whether having my ‘voice’ out there is worth less because of its lack of professional gravitas. Similarly, I wonder how long I can continue as a convenor or ‘leader’ in the AASRN when I am no longer actively researching in the field (this gives you an idea of the things I’ve published and researched).
For the first time, I actually said to someone last week that I was no longer an active researcher. It felt weird, but it was true. I was an active (academic) researcher for almost twenty years (including my MA and PhD). This doesn’t mean I don’t do research now, but I don’t do it with a view to publishing in academic outlets or building towards a major academic research project.
With a 9-5 day-job that is non-academic, I can’t commit time to that kind of work anymore. The offers and opportunities are still being made – some more attractive than others – but I’ve turned them all down. I still write a lot, but it’s channelled into different modes: professional and personal blogposts, Twitter, fiction, reviews, and more process-driven work stuff. Having the burden of representation eased by stepping away from academia has meant that I feel much more willing and able to get word out there. Let’s see how it goes.
Now, I can’t imagine not getting the word out about research through various channels, and feeding project findings and conclusions out to the communities that informed my work.
I once sent an academic article to a local council because they contributed to the work through several interviews. Thinking back on that now, I cringe. I would do things very differently today.

17 comments:

Ranveer Patil said...

This is great do you have a catologue if so I would love one to share with friends and family.
Bookmyshow T20 Cricket World Cup Tickets Buy
ICC T20 World Cup 2016 Qualifier Venues Groups

Valentines Day 2016 Quotes said...

Fan Box Office Collection
Happy Holi 2016
Happy Holi 2016
US Open Tennis 2016
Mah 10th Result 2016
Mah 10th Result 2016
CBSE 12th Result 2016
CBSE SSC Result 2016
CBSE SSC Result 2016
Happy Mothers Day 2016
Happy Fathers Day 2016
Teacher Appreciation Week
Teacher Appreciation Day
Happy Friendship day 2016
Happy Easter 2016
Happy Easter 2016

mjhmjhm,jk,,

pham diep chi said...

Cách giảm đau dạ dày hiệu quả tại nhà . Nghiên cứu mới về bài thuốc tri viem gan b mãn , Bệnh viem amidan man tinh , Làm thế nào để chữa viêm amidan hốc mủ khỏi hẳn, Đại tràng kích thích và benh dai trang man tinh khác nhau ra sao . Kiêng ăn với đau dạ dày nên ăn gì cho hiệu quả . Tham khảo cụ thể triệu chứng bệnh dạ dày biểu hiện như thế nào. Mẹo chữa tri viem hong cấp , cách chua viem amidan o tre em nhỏ tuổi , Bệnh viêm amidan sau cắt cần kiêng ăn gì .
thuốc đậu rồng chữa bệnh dạ dày .
Những triệu chứng bệnh viêm xoang .
Phương thuốc dân gian chữa bệnh dạ dày . Bệnh noi me day o tre em .

pham diep chi said...

Nội dung điều trị đau dạ dày Nhanh , Bệnh loét dạ dày hành tá tràng , Đặc trị thuốc nam chữa viêm amidan , Làm thế nào chữa bệnh amidan mủ ,Thuốc dân gian chữa bệnh mề đay Nổi ngứa , Điều trị bệnh gan nhiễm mỡ , Trẻ em bị mắc benh viem phe quan phoi chữa thế nào , liệu pháp chữa bệnh ho ,Tìm hiểu thuốc đông y chữa viêm mũi ,Mắc bệnh viêm xoang mũi chữa thế nào cho khỏi , Nhiều thuốc chữa đau dạ dày hiệu quả , Mức độ phổ biến của bệnh trào ngược dạ dày ở trẻ em ,Tôi đã chữa khỏi trào ngược axit dạ dày ra sao , Trị bệnh rụng tóc nhanh , Chuyên khoa chữa và điều trị rối loạn kinh nguyệt thật hiệu quả , Bệnh xương khớp thoái hóa đốt sống cổ chữa rứt điểm

Deny Games said...

Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up!
bubble shooter
bubble trouble
earn to die
get on top
gunblood
gun mayhem
gun mayhem 2

head soccer said...

Hello, I am Lindaz Sophia. I like playing head soccer unblocked, I used to play these webs about big head soccer. Today, I introduce many web about sports head basketball as follows:
- Sports head soccer is a web game which has many exciting games.
- Besides, you can access a web big head basketball so that you play these games.
Have fun!

Cretu Ciprian said...

This is a great web site. Good sparkling user interface and very informative blogs. I will be coming back in a bit, thanks for the great article. I have found it enormously useful. Thanks friv girl games

Lakshya Dhillon said...

happy new year 2017

happy new year 2017 quotes

sample papers CBSE

new year 2017 quotes

Happy Diwali 2016

new year 2017 wishes

ALDAR said...

HD Videos

HD Video Songs

Mp3 Songs

Falahhunn said...

best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE
best university in UAE

xender for PC said...

thank you somuch shareit for pc andthis was thelove quotes great website imo for pcfor shareit for pc and for shareit shareit thisshareit for pc
download shareit for windows7/8/8.1/10
was the very best shareit for pc
download shareit for windows7/8/8.1/10
website xender for pc

kathy said...

Very great site.thanks for your post.
new year 2017 wallpaper
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs
best new years songs

Vasan Ritu said...

Once you forgive and forget. Your life can change around amazingly good. While it flushes out the inner negativity away.
http://goatripsindia.com/goa-christmas-packages

adelia said...

Keep fighting, moving, learning, and working. Then success and we will get a true victory.
gretting succes by natasya.
jual klg asli
Alat Pembesar Penis
Vakum Pembesar Penis
Obat Penyubur Sperma

Anonymous said...

propose day Valentine week
hug day Valentine week
teddy day Valentine week list
hug day Valentine week
singles valentines day

Ann Lily said...

It is a great website.. If you are games lover and love to play games word cookies game download is the most easiest way to get latest games hill climb racing 2 anytime you need to follow just few simple steps five nights at freddys 4 | hotmail login

prathap kumar said...

I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.

Social Media Marketing Agency Social Media Marketing Services