Wednesday, 30 March 2016

How to succeed at disrupting your business

image via iStock
by Marcus Powe, RMIT's Entrepreneur-in-Residence

Over the last few years, new terms and phrases have been introduced into the language of enterprise. The result has seen added confusion of the fundamental terms of innovation, entrepreneurship and creativity. Advisors, consultants and experts have embraced the new language and now business, government and educators are fluent. Some of my favourites include; creative innovation, applied entrepreneurship and deep insight. Has anyone yet to pivot as they scaffold? And the best is of course the smart phone; who on earth would want to by a dumb phone?

To be a successful innovator you need disruptive processes. What does this really mean? Perhaps what this is saying is you need to introduce change?

I have been introducing change for thirty years in business, education government and not for profits in 4 countries. I use the term innovation; after all, innovation introduces change that impacts on the way we do things and the way we think about things. Even today, there is much confusion about innovation, invention, continuous improvement, Blue Ocean, Pink Sky; on it goes.

Everyone is fearful of change. I often ask my students “who likes change?” and people pop up their hand. I think yeah right, I then change either the assessment or syllabus and they freak out (an academic term) and then I think, my students are being trained to embrace change to enable them to grasp the future, mmm….

So how can you be successful using change (disruption)?

In your organisation you only have three things to work with. I know you are thinking, not another bloody checklist (have you seen LinkedIn lately, it’s THE place for lists and aphorisms, I love it). Well, it’s really simple, frighteningly obvious and scares the hell out of those people I like to call the complicators.

In your organisation you only have three things: (1) people, (2) current processes and (3) the products/services you sell.

To be a success, (for the purpose of this article success means that the organisation makes more than it spends consistently, or in the case of not for profits, reduces its reliance on grants and handouts) we need to determine which of the three is the easiest to disrupt (change)?

The easiest to disrupt are processes, as processes do not resist change. The second easiest to change is the product or service. The real challenge, as you marketing enthusiasts know, is effective use of strategies and tactics to change consumers behaviour so that they embrace your new market offering and keep them from going to the competition.

OK, so you have guessed the hardest thing to change, people.

The reason is straightforward. We dislike and often resist change, because we simply do not or cannot effectively communicate the benefits of change to each other.
To change a process looks really easy on paper, it is not at all.

In many organisations I work with, I am still surprised when management wonders why integrating processes do not work as planned. The classic example is when people from different parts of the organisation sit together and talk after processes have been changed and make it apparent that they still do not know what the other does or even worse, they don’t care.
So what should we do to create success?

Simply disrupting your processes in order to be successful is weak and often reactive. By using the word disrupt, we somehow de humanise our organisations. We all work with people. People do not like change, especially in the current economic and technological turbulence. Why not have conversations with those that work with and for you? Why not say them “we need to change or we will no longer exist”? Why not say, “Help me to do this so we can all be successful”?

Use simple words, then everyone will get it. I dare you!

13 comments:

Lols said...

Happy Mothers Day Quotes
Happy Mothers Day Wishes
Happy Mothers Day Greetings
Happy Mothers Day Sayings
Happy Mothers Day Messages
Happy Mothers Day Poems

Emily Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
head soccer said...

Hello, I am Lindaz Sophia. I like playing head soccer unblocked, I used to play these webs about big head soccer. Today, I introduce many web about sports head basketball as follows:
- Sports head soccer is a web game which has many exciting games.
- Besides, you can access a web big head basketball so that you play these games.
Have fun!

xender for PC said...

thank you so much for this website shareit for pc
shareit
shareit download
shareit for windows
shareit for pc
download shareit for windows7/8/8.1/10
shareit on pc download
shareit app
love quotes
imo for pc

như thủy said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post!

Chia sẻ bí quyết kinh nghiệm mua hàng trên aliexpress có đảm bảo không cũng như cách mua như thế nào, chia sẻ các bạn cách mua hàng trên aliexpress về Việt Nam uy tín, hay dây rốn quấn cổ 2 vòng sinh thường được không phải xử lý nhu thế nào hay việc thai sinh mổ bao lâu thì được gen bụng có sao không, cách điều trị ra sao hay giải thích hiện tượng sau sinh bao lâu thì bôi rượu gừng nghệ hay máu báo có thai là máu gì như thế nào hay có thai ngoài tử cung ra máu màu gì và việc bóc tách túi thai có nguy hiểm không hay thai ngoài tử cung thử que có lên vạch không chế độ nghỉ ngơi như thế nào cho hợp lý, mua hàng với hướng dẫn mua hàng trên aliexpress hay bài viết chia sẻ kinh nghiệm mua hàng cực chất lượng, uy tín với bài cách mua hàng aliexpress nhanh nhất và an toàn nhất hay hướng dẫn các mẹ cách mua hàng kinh nghiệm mua hàng trên aliexpress có đảm bảo an toàn, chất lương hay hàng hóa trên Aliexpress có tốt không việc mua hàng khiến nhiều người lo lắng mua hàng trên aliexpress có an toàn không.

Teresa Hamilton said...

Thank you for the post. This information is really helpful for me.
If you are a dog lover, you should have much knowledge about Dog Breeds , dog food, dog training... to keep your dog healthy and improve your life together.

bettycyoung said...

good Please keep checking out to know more regarding Mobdro Download kindly keep reading to recognize more concerning it nice.

cathrynzbrown said...

Great not play them regularly, you need a better remedy Mobdro for PC take all the video clips you see offline using the Fine.

prathap kumar said...

I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.

Java Training in Chennai Core Java Training in Chennai Core Java Training in Chennai

Java Online Training Java Online Training JavaEE Training in Chennai Java EE Training in Chennai

tanki online said...

Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write.
Thanks for sharing !
tanki online 2 | 2048 game online

emma duggu said...

Great post. Thanks for Posting. Its very impressive and interesting.
when is memorial day 2017
memorial day quotes for soldiers
memorial day pictures images

emma duggu said...

Thanks for the information about this Really nice Post.
when is memorial day 2017
memorial day quotes for soldiers
happy memorial day 2017 images

eva cooper said...

Different regions in the world observe Mother’s day on different dates. It is most commonly celebrated in the months of March
Happy Mothers Day 2017 Wishes
Mothers day HD Wallpaper Download
Happy Mothers Day 2017 Poems